Home » Unclaimed Property

Image of watches, jewelry, rings, coins and other examples of unclaimed property

Unclaimed Property


Greeting from the Treasurer:

Each year Kansas businesses send me the names of people with bank accounts, wages, stocks and dividends that have been abandoned. As State Treasurer, it is my job to reunite those people with their unclaimed financial assets. I use our website, in addition to many other initiatives, to bring the unclaimed property program directly to the people of Kansas. Please feel free to check your name by calling 800-432-0386 (toll free) or 785-296-4165. You may also check your name online from this site by clicking here.


Treasurer LaTurner signature in blue ink.

Jake LaTurner
Kansas State Treasurer


Related Links & Information

The Unclaimed Property Division seeks to return various forms of unclaimed property to the rightful owner or heirs. The State Treasurer has the authority to take possession of specified types of abandoned personal property and become custodian in perpetuity which preserves the right of the original owner or other persons to claim the property.

Click here to find out if we are holding any unclaimed property for you.

If you have done business in another state, you may want to link to the http://www.missingmoney.com site to check.

If you worked for a company in the past that went out of business or ended its defined benefit pension, you may want to link to the PBGC Pension Search page to see if you are entitled to any pension money.

The Office of the Special Trustee for American Indians is seeking current addresses for the Individual Indian Money account holders listed on their site. All accounts have funds to be disbursed to the rightful owner. Please link to the Office of the Special Trustee for American Indians site to see if you are an account holder.

Why Does Unclaimed Property Come to Our Office?

Each year thousands of people lose track of their bank accounts, cash, stocks, bonds, refunds, royalties, safe deposit boxes and other property. People move and forget to furnish their bank, broker, employer or insurance company with a forwarding address. Losing sight of property can happen to anyone. It is the Treasurer's job to reunite rightful owners and heirs with unclaimed assets currently being held by the State of Kansas.

What kinds of properties are they?

  • Court deposits
  • Dormant checking accounts
  • Dormant savings accounts
  • Insurance benefits
  • Oil and gas royalties
  • Safe deposit box contents
  • Stock and cash dividends
  • Utility deposits
  • Wages

What Does the Claim Process Consist Of?

What does it cost to file a claim? - Nothing! There are no fees or charges assessed by the Kansas State Treasurer's Office. All services performed are done so absolutely FREE!

What do I have to do to file a claim? The very first step is to check your name on our list of unclaimed property owners. This can be done several different ways:

You can look up your name by clicking here.
Lists of owners are located in most county courthouses in the State of Kansas.

Call the Kansas Cash Connection at 1-800-432-0386 or (785) 296-4165 and ask to check your name.

You can mail us at:

Kansas State Treasurer
Unclaimed Property Division
900 SW Jackson, Suite 201
Topeka, Kansas 66612-1235

You can send us an E-Mail at Unclaimed@treasurer.ks.gov
Please remember to tell us you saw this information on the internet!

What proof will I need to get my money back?

This office requires significant proof of ownership in order to issue any funds to an apparent owner or heir. Specifically, we require some sort of document in your possession that ties you to the information that was reported to us by the Holder.

The Kansas State Treasurer's office requests these items of information for every claim that is filed with us:

  • Social Security Number or Federal ID Number of the claimant(s). Otherwise if no social security number is reported by the holder you will need to provide documentation of the reported address.
  • Address (Including City, State, and Zip code) of the claimant(s)
  • Notarized claim form, if the property is a Safe Deposit Box, Stock, or worth in excess of $2,000.00

The following are guidelines to answer some of the most frequently asked questions:

  • If we have a Social Security Number on file, and it matches the one you have, in many cases, that is all we will need.
  • If you are claiming as Conservator, Executor, Administrator, etc., send a certified copy from the probate court of `Letters of Conservatorship,` `Letters Testamentary,` `Letters of Administration,` or such other court certificate evidencing appointment.
  • If the original owner is deceased and the owner's estate was probated pursuant to K.S.A. chapter 59, send certified copies from the probate court of the owner's will AND the `Journal Entry` or `Decree of Final Settlement.`


58-3951. Advertising of unclaimed property; information required. (a) Within the calendar year next following the year in which unclaimed property has been paid or delivered to the administrator, the administrator shall advertise the unclaimed property in such form as in the discretion of the administrator is likely to attract the attention of the apparent owner of the unclaimed property. It shall contain the following information:
(1) The name of each person appearing to be the owner of property presumed abandoned, as set forth in the report filed by the holder;
(2) the last known address or location of each person appearing to be the owner of property presumed abandoned, if an address or location is set forth in the report filed by the holder;
(3) a statement explaining that property of the owner has been presumed to be abandoned and has been taken into the protective custody of the administrator; and
(4) a statement that information about the abandoned property and its return to the apparent owner can be obtained at any time by a person having a legal or beneficial interest in that property by making an inquiry to the administrator.
(b) The administrator shall not be required to advertise the name and address or location of an owner of abandoned property having a total value less than $100, nor information concerning travelers checks and money orders.
History: L. 1994, ch. 8, § 18; L. 1996, ch. 111, § 4; July 1.

Website Usage Statistics:

Below are numbers reflecting statistics from this website since its inception. RFIs, or Requests For Information, are the packets, including claim forms, we send out when potential claimants, such as yourself, locate property on our database.

Statistic Description Numbers
Database Searches Times our database has been searched on-line
RFIs Generated # of RFI packets sent as a result of on-line searches
Total Amt of RFIs Dollars that would be returned to claimants if all on-line RFIs resulted in successful claims
Largest Single RFI Largest single RFI received from users of this site